To the People

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or TO THE PEOPLE.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

How Do US Income Taxes Compare to Other Countries?

Cicero asked me that question in a comment to my post that pointed out that all EU countries have lower corporate tax rates than the US. I can't find data on what Europeans actually pay, versus their tax rates, but I can find it on Americans.

The US system is very progressive, too much so, meaning that the majority of filers, 60%, pay no federal income tax at all. So most Americans have no stake in US policy. That is not a good thing. The other 40%, who mostly live on the coasts in higher cost areas, pay the entire bill. In fact, the top 5% percent pay more than half the entire bill of government largesse.

There is only such much that you can milk this cow.

Labels: ,